Many people always maintain their houses or their vehicles on a regular basis. If these two things need maintenance, don’t you think garages and garage doors need checkups too? Precisely, they do too.
Always remember that a garage door is what your neighbors usually see in your property because of its size. Damaged garage doors can bring havoc to the house’s exterior and the cost of repair can also cost a lot.
So, rather than paying big amounts for the repair, it is better to spend a little for the maintenance instead.
The process of taking care of garage doors is actually pretty simple. Here’s how:
- The very first thing that you must remember is that you need to do thorough cleaning every 6 months.
- The surface of the door must be wiped with a mixture of water and detergent.
- Do not forget to clean the other garage door parts as well and not just the exterior.
- If your garage door is the one that has windows, use a glass cleaner for that.
Garage doors can be quite complicated at times especially when you consider the mechanisms and the openers that are involved in its operation. If cleaning is done twice a year (every six months), systematic inspection must be done once a year. A logical approach is always beneficial in this sense so that no part is missed out.
- Check all of the bearings and the wheels if there are any broken ones.
- Also check the screws and the hinges in the mechanisms.
- Bolts must also be inspected if they are either loose or missing.
- Check the garage door openers with its connections, the pulleys, the motor and the cables.
- As you go with the inspection, tighten the loose bolts and screws immediately and list down all of the missing and broken parts so that you can purchase new ones to be replaced as soon as possible.
- Finish the maintenance process by applying a lubricant to the parts of the mechanisms that may cause heavy friction.